The facts about the Bahamas
- Cases of child abuse continue to rise over the past four years
- Teenage suicide attempts are on the rise
- Violent crime and gang related crime continues to be an on-going threat in the inner city communities.
- Predictions of food prices rising as high as 40 percent over the next six months.
- The Bahamas has the second highest unemployment rate (around 15 per cent) among Caribbean nations over a four-year period.
- Unmarried mothers account for the majority of all births in the Bahamas.
- Nearly 60 per cent of the nation’s high school graduates finish with attendance certificates instead of diplomas, for failing to meet a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 during six years of high school.
As these statistics show, the children of the Bahamas need our help. That’s the mission of Basketball Smiles. We are committed to these communities and fighting to change these statistics, one child at a time